Wednesday, January 6, 2016

How to Shadow an Item through drawing!!! FOR BEGINNERS

Hey guys it's Lily she's back today I'm going to do a post on how to shadow items for beginners! Even more amazing it's super easy to do with clear instructions and tips! So lets get drawing.
Your materials will require a pencil (I suggest mechanical pencil 0.7 or thinner) and you'll need a paper.
1. Start by drawing your figure anything you like although if your just learning I wouldn't do something like a chair, bed, or table because they're much harder. My recommendation is a cube or a rectangular prism for a beginner because they are easiest to shadow. Also if you would like to get a nice cube or rectangular prism for straight lines you I suggest line paper. Sorry my example doesn't show that.
  








2.  Its basically doing a value scale at an angle for those if you don't know what a value scale is here's an example:sorry about the slight blurriness causing it to make the colors look more blended. But you can kind of see how it's starts off dark and starts to gradually fade to white.









Anyways what I did I started from about mid way through the side of cube that is facing me. I slowly shaded it as dark as my pencil will go. I didn't finish the shade all the way through because you still have side angle to do. For this side I start at the end of the cube but try to  keep alined for the other side if it helps use a ruler. Then you also shade it as dark as possible and let it naturally fade in order to let it fade as you do a lighter shade put less pressure on the pencil. So when your starting with the darkest pa portion you'll need  a lot of pressure but slowly start putting slightly less pressure as the shade gets lighter. When you finish that little side finish off the other side just by looking at the small pa portion and matching it. Now the very last step is to rub the shadow yes your hands will get graphite but that's ok. For the best results it's likely you may re have to shade parts a few times because when you rub the graphite becomes lighter and may look uneven. And now your done! Your final product should look something like this:
                          Sorry my fingers in the way Anyway hope this helped you!!!!!!! :) XD

No comments:

Post a Comment